Coach Heather's #hacksforlivinglean: Homemade Salad Dressing
Salad Dressings, Oils, and other condiments are known for being high in FAT and often times SALT and SUGAR.
Consuming an abundance of one or all three of these ingredients is sure to stop your progress dead in its' tracks.
Here's a Coach Heather Recipe Exclusive for staying ON TRACK without sacrificing taste!
A good way to ruin a healthy and nutritious salad is to SMOTHER it in UNHEALTHY things or create an UNBALANCE of healthy items in its' contents. Examples of this are: excessive salad dressing or oil servings, overloaded with cheeses, nuts, and other high fat containing items, and incorporating VERY LITTLE protein.
If you are out to eat at a restaurant, try to make your own salad by creating your own contents out of available menu items. Choose vinegar options when available instead of Ranch, Caesar, Thousand Islands or plain oil.
Here's my homemade and very simple recipe to keep your salads DELICIOUS and NUTRITIOUS!
You will need:
- A 10oz Mason Jar or dressing beaker
- One vinegar of choice: (Red Wine Vinegar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Balsamic Vinegar)
- Sea Salt
- Cracked Pepper
- Dried herbs and spices (Ex: Oregano, Thyme, Basil, Chipotle, Fennel Seed, lemon peel, garlic, onion.)
- One oil of choice: ( Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Sesame, Peanut, ExtraVirgin Olive Oil).
- Nutritional yeast is optional.
- Fill mason jar or dressing beaker with your vinegar of choice almost to the top, leaving a 2 inch space from the top to allow space for oil and spices.
- Pour vinegar into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1tbsp. of your oil of choice to the vinegar. (You may have to heat it a little to liquify it before stirring it into the vinegar.)
- Add 1-2 tsp of each dried spice to the mixture satisfactory to taste.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt, pepper and nutritional yeast (optional) to the mixture.
- Stir until well blended, then carefully pour into the mason jar or dressing beaker.
Store in the refrigerator and keep up to 30 days.
Serving size is 1/4 cup.
HOW TO DETERMINE CALORIES AND MACROS PER SERVING
When making recipes, it's important to track amounts of every ingredient that is used.
You can do this by entering the item and the amount you're using into an app like My Fitness Pal to help you track.
Vinegar and oil are usually measured in tablespoons. Since we are using a significant amount of vinegar in this recipe (8oz to 10oz), you must change the measurement in your app to ml or cups to track accurately. (That's A LOT of tbsp!)
Based on 8oz of vinegar (237ml), 1 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1tsp Dried Oregano, 1tsp dried Onion, 1tsp dried Thyme, 1 tbsp of Sea Salt and 1 tbsp of Nutritional Yeast, that gives our total recipe the following calorie and macro/micro breakdowns:
8oz to 10oz Jar of Dressing
199 Total Calories
3g of Protein
8g of Carbs
14g of Fat
2g of Sugar
3g of Fiber
12mg of Sodium
122mg of Potassium
So, how do you figure out how many calories + macros are in 1 serving size (1/4 cup) ?
If your dressing is 8 ounces, it's pretty easy math...
8oz = 1 cup
1/4 of 1 cup = 2 oz.
So you have about 4 servings in 8 ounces, correct? OK, now let's divide the calories.
199 calories divided by 4 servings = 49.75 calories per serving (or 50 calories rounded up)
Now, we divide the macros by 4...
3g of protein divided by 4 = 0.75g
8g of Carbs divided by 4 = 2g
14g of Fat divided by 4 = 3.5g
And lastly, the micros...
2g of Sugar / 4= 0.5g
3g of Fiber / 4= 0.75g
12mg of Sodium / 4 = 3mg
122mg of Potassium / 4= 30.5mg
So now your nutrition label PER SERVING is:
Serving Size: 1/4 Cup (2 oz)
Protein = 0.75g
Carbs = 2g
Fat = 3.5g
Sugar = 0.5g
Sodium = 3mg
These calories AND macros/micros may differ with the type of Vinegar, Nutritional Yeast use or omission, Oil, and Spices used.
But now, you know how to figure it out and there should be ZERO EXCUSES about tracking incorrectly :)!
Go practice your newfound Salad Dressing Skills in the kitchen!
Feel free to experiment with different flavors to reflect your mood.
Share your recipe on social media but DON'T FORGET TO TAG US SO WE CAN SEE IT!
HAVE FUN LIVING LEAN!